Deeznutz HD 120 Long Rimless

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Marz link said:
Although most people don't do this since it's an interior wall, are you expecting the fish room to be noisy? If so, you could insulate the inside wall. I have done this in areas where I don't want noise \"bleeding\" into common areas, especially if you are going to ever finish the entire basement for say a move theatre ;)

not a bad idea, may as well do it while its easily done lol

Marz

Sorry, one last thing to consider is ventilation. I don't know if you will have any issues with evaporation within that room; I assume that you will be heating the water at the sump, maybe a fuge, etc. Check with others that have basement setups like this (I don't) as this may be a non-issue. It looks like the window will be in that room so you could use it if really necessary.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Marz link said:
Sorry, one last thing to consider is ventilation. I don't know if you will have any issues with evaporation within that room; I assume that you will be heating the water at the sump, maybe a fuge, etc. Check with others that have basement setups like this (I don't) as this may be a non-issue. It looks like the window will be in that room so you could use it if really necessary.

Good point, I have seen several dedicated fish room setups where the owner has opted to install a ventilation system.  Not only for controlling humidity, but for exchanging fresh air into the room which helps with maintaining stable pH in the winter (when our houses are usually shut up tight for months on end).

deeznutz

Marz link said:
Although most people don't do this since it's an interior wall, are you expecting the fish room to be noisy? If so, you could insulate the inside wall. I have done this in areas where I don't want noise \"bleeding\" into common areas, especially if you are going to ever finish the entire basement for say a move theatre ;)

Yes, you are correct.  The wall won't be drywalled on the outside anytime soon.  But insulating it against noise is a good idea for for the future.  I've been toying with the idea of making a window there so I can see into the other room.  The reason for this is so that I can watch my kids play while I'm in the fish room.  It wouldn't work if I was doing a theatre, just a thought.
That inside wall is where I will be putting a work bench.

Marz link said:

My last fish room in my old house did not have any active ventilation.  I put a vent pipe in, but I never got around to wiring up a fan on a humid-stat.  I was always worried about mould growing and always checked.  Even after 3 years, there was no signs of mould. 

I've read a bit about ventilation and there are a few pros and cons.  Obvious pros are getting rid of the moisture and preventing mould growth.  But it also increases/promotes evaporation

This time around I'm going to add a top to my sump to decrease the amount evaporation that occurs.

curiousphil link said:
[quote author=Marz link=topic=8353.msg91887#msg91887 date=1398750842]

Good point, I have seen several dedicated fish room setups where the owner has opted to install a ventilation system.  Not only for controlling humidity, but for exchanging fresh air into the room which helps with maintaining stable pH in the winter (when our houses are usually shut up tight for months on end).
[/quote]

Yes another good point.  My Ph is pretty high on my frag tank.  It's sitting at 8.8

Thanks for the advice guys and I will consider it when I close off the room.  For now it'll still be left open.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Congrats!  Build is coming along nicely.

If you were local I'd offer to come help with plumbing.  I actually enjoy doing it and take pride in it.  Good luck.  Just take your time and you'll end up with a finished product that reflects all your hard work.

Marz

I should have mentioned that I think your build is amazing, and it gives me something to aspire to for sure! Can't wait to see it in all it's glory :)

deeznutz

EricTMah link said:
Congrats!  Build is coming along nicely.

If you were local I'd offer to come help with plumbing.  I actually enjoy doing it and take pride in it.  Good luck.  Just take your time and you'll end up with a finished product that reflects all your hard work.

Thank you EricMah.  You aren't that far from me :)  Too bad though, cause you sound like you could plumb the hell out of my fish room.

I do plan on making it look pro.  Straight pipes that are hung and secured properly.  Thought out returns and drains that are just as visually pleasing as they are functioning.
And its not really hard work, when your having fun 8)

Marz link said:
I should have mentioned that I think your build is amazing, and it gives me something to aspire to for sure! Can't wait to see it in all it's glory :)

Hey thanks a lot Marz, you're making me blushing. The wife and I can't wait either. 

monizb link said:
Amazing

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Thank you monizb, I'm glad you're enjoying the build.

deeznutz

A little update.  I've decided to change up the fish room a bit.  Instead of a separate frag tank I'm planning on incorporating the frag tank into the sump.

Here's a sketch up of the new sump idea.

First chamber will be for the skimmer, second part is for the live rock and last section will be the frag tank.  I'm not sure if I should swap the live rock area with the frag tank area.  I plan on running a Ai sol blue for the frag tank.

Any thoughts on this setup?  Any recommendations on the design?

I was thinking about adding a DSB, but I'm not sure.

file-149.jpg

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
its a good idea, i like all in one systems, either way i cant see it mattering to much which compartment your frag section is in...
only thing i could think of is you want to keep intense light off your skimmer and pumps etc, to avoid algae build up and the like..
so maybe the left section would be best....

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looks like your design isn't very wide, but if you have the option to make it wider, maybe consider moving the frag section to the very end, and dividing the middle section length ways so that you have a separate area for the skimmer and another compartment on the other side for quarantine or for reactors, ect.

This way the flow could move directionally through vented baffles from one end and back out from where it came in to another compartment where your pump will be

drains -> skimmer -> frags -> quarantine/reactors -> return pump

deeznutz

Poseidon link said:
its a good idea, i like all in one systems, either way i cant see it mattering to much which compartment your frag section is in...
only thing i could think of is you want to keep intense light off your skimmer and pumps etc, to avoid algae build up and the like..
so maybe the left section would be best....

My thoughts exactly, last time my frag tank was right besdie the skimmer, coraline started to grow on the inside of the skimmer body.  Looked pretty bad and PITA to clean.

teebone110 link said:
Looks like your design isn't very wide, but if you have the option to make it wider, maybe consider moving the frag section to the very end, and dividing the middle section length ways so that you have a separate area for the skimmer and another compartment on the other side for quarantine or for reactors, ect.

This way the flow could move directionally through vented baffles from one end and back out from where it came in to another compartment where your pump will be

drains -> skimmer -> frags -> quarantine/reactors -> return pump

See what you are trying to accomplish, but I can't go any wider since the tank is already built.  Another thing is I'm trying to save space.  My Skimmer foot print is pretty large as well being 18x 14. 

I'm hoping there will be no bubbles by the time the water reaches the opposite end.

I think I'm going to go without the DSB for now.

Also a problem I had in my last frag tank/sump was I would get a lot of algae growth on my frags and frag rack.  The hair algae type.  I never had it in the display, but in the sump it was out of control.  I'm hoping I dont run into the same situation.

deeznutz

benzzz link said:
I think there will be too many frags for such a small space :p

Another frag tank can always be added down the road  ;)
I'm just trying to address the situation as it stand for now.  I'll still have my  48x24x14 frag tank sitting around.
So, if I can aquire enough frag, I just might have to bring it back on online.

deeznutz

So late lastnight my buddy and I went to go pick up my 8 foot sump!
Showed up and it was already on a dolly ready to be loaded.  A bit dusty though.  I took a quick look and I noticed a few more bulk heads installed then I thought.  Oh well.

Seller asked if we were interested in seeing his display.  Of course we were :)

As we went inside, we were greeted with a 8x3x4 acrylic monster!  Massive tank, unfortunately it was fish only.  Had a hideous  fake sunk ship and lit by the cheapest LED spot lights I've ever seen.  He had 2 leather which were in bad shape as well.  This guy was no reefer, that's for sure.

After listening to the owner toot his own horn for 20 mins about every subject imaginable, we had enough and decided to leave lol.

As I was looking over the sump tank, I realized it had a starphire front pane!  Bonus.  The trim was loose on top, so I pulled it off.  The tank was also rimless!  Dope!

Then I noticed the outside corner of the tank had a 1/2" chip in the glass.  The glass was only 1/2" to begin with.
After debating if I should take the tank and fix it or not, I decided to offer him 100 bucks for it.  The owner assured me he'd rather smash it then sell it for that price, considering it had a huge chip in the glass.

I've decided to pass on the tank, wasn't going to pay full pop for a tank that may or may not work.

I hope the guy selling the tank honestly didn't know about the chip in the glass and it only happened after they moved it.  But my gut tells me he knew about it, regardless if it just happened or not.

So if you are looking at buying an 8 footer on KIJIJI, buyer beware!

Tank can most likely be fixed, but the seller being a douche can not be fixed. 

Sellers going to have a lot of broken glass to clean up after smashing the tank lol

Disappointing night and update to say the least  :'(  Would have been an amazing sump.  Oh well

back to the drawing board.

-dan

Bfofre

Some unrelated to fish tank questions...  1) wall paint colour  2) stand and trim colour  (yes I know white,  but specifically)  3) flooring,  hardwood?  Laminate? 

I really like the look of your renovation,  my kind of earth tones..  Btw,  looking forward to updates!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

deeznutz

Thanks for the compliments.  I'm hoping to update the build soon  ;)

The wall colour is Benjamin Moore Stone harbour.
The stand colour is white lol.  Benjamin Moore Dove white. 
Baseboard trim, I'm unsure.
Crown molding is Sherwin Williams standard acrylic white trim.

Flooring is Canadian grown, milled and stained Ash.  We didn't want to go with an overseas product.
4-1/4 plank, wire brushed and matte finish.

Absolutely love the floors.  Really happy with our decision.  If you are interested in the manufacture, let me know.

-dan

Bfofre

This floor runs into the kitchen also??
How are you finding durability??  Guess it's still new...
Always concerned about using hw in kitchens, i've been leaning towards the 6x18 porcelain tiles that look like wood.
However, that will require i add another layer of subfloor..

I love renovations....  Mostly...lol

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Bfofre link said:
This floor runs into the kitchen also??
How are you finding durability??  Guess it's still new...
Always concerned about using hw in kitchens, i've been leaning towards the 6x18 porcelain tiles that look like wood.
However, that will require i add another layer of subfloor..

I love renovations....  Mostly...lol

cork is the new way to go :)

my gfs family owns a couple flooring canada stores and cork is a big seller, durable, waterproof, warm and looks sweet