Moving Up To 220

Jason Bell

Not much of an update, finally have all 5 Hydras on the rail, fish are doing great. To that note, completely different behavior in the larger environment, tangs all swim together, gamma is out all day and I finally have a school of fish when it is feeding time.

IMG_20210425_183357_01_compress50.jpg

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Looking good man ! How you dealing with dinos and stuff ? Your rock work still to early for coral line algae yeah ?

Jason Bell

Looking good man ! How you dealing with dinos and stuff ? Your rock work still to early for coral line algae yeah ?

I had a brief algae bloom that is pretty much over now, expected with the raw reef saver rock. I ran filter socks and would change out twice a day, stir the bed, clean the glass and run the pumps on high. The socks were plugged in 8-10 hrs. The bio pellets have kicked in as well, so that has some effect and doesn't hurt with 5g water changes daily.

Jason Bell

That’s what I did too lol

Great minds....I did finally pick up my tank surround, hope at some point this week I'll get 1 evening to set up a side. I want to make sure the cables are all 'nice' but still way to much to do. Only half the Neptune gear is set up, but it is getting there. Still need 1 more controller board, used 1 at the water change and another on the back wall. 1 more will cover the rest of the gear and handle the little bio cube for the clown that couldn't get along with anyone in the new tank.

Jason Bell

How’s the tank going Jason ?
I wish I could say it is all done....Work has been insane and not much progress has been made. I do have the AWC running with the DOS @ 5g/day. I have my stand skins, but have not mounted the equipment in them or mounted them on the tank, still plenty of boxes around.

On the good side, no algae bloom even with the raw rock, the bio pellets seem to be working well, skimmer is pulling plenty of smelly stuff, empty it about every 3 days. The limited coral I kept are doing well. Now tank parameters are a little off, calc, mag, salinity and temp all good, alk was low at 6.2 which seemed to limit my ph to around 8.04. I couldn't get any more Aquaforest so figured reef crystals it is as it was available, bought 8 boxes and Canpar driver was none to happy about that. With the salt change the alk has slowly been increasing, around 6.9 now, so headed in the right direction.

Enough about that, how is your tank going? I have not seen any updates pics for some time, I believe last was the setup for the lights.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Jason Bell for me atm just been dealing with dynos it’s been 2-3 weeks , I need to hit it harder but been busy aswell , coralline algae starting to grow , and just been keeping alk , mag and cal all in check , they tend to dip every day even with 0 coral and only have about a toonie size amount of coraline algae ,

once dynos are gone , I’ll look into some sps and some more fish ,

also I started my lights at 10% when I set them up a d over the month + I slowly raised now around 45% and knock on wood no bad algae’s , just normal dynos LOL

Jason Bell

@Jason Bell for me atm just been dealing with dynos it’s been 2-3 weeks , I need to hit it harder but been busy aswell , coralline algae starting to grow , and just been keeping alk , mag and cal all in check , they tend to dip every day even with 0 coral and only have about a toonie size amount of coraline algae ,

once dynos are gone , I’ll look into some sps and some more fish ,

also I started my lights at 10% when I set them up a d over the month + I slowly raised now around 45% and knock on wood no bad algae’s , just normal dynos LOL
I've been lucky with the last few tanks, I always start the bio pellets, dump in the quick cycle and just the pellets turn, no skimmer. I do the water changes and about 7 days later all aboard and in they go.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I found I had nothing for like 6 months but then when o put proper lights on the tank and under 2-3ppm nitrates and 0 phos I ended up with dynos LOL , all my rock was acid bathed brand new dry rock so I knew nothing would leach out and been using 0-1 tds water since day one , so now I’m trying to over feed but do about 5 g wc a day to remove any dynos (it’s always in the sand) I think I could use another mp40 but it’s not really 100% needed LOL I’d rather wait it out to spend on other things

also never used the bio pellets or anything like that only thing I’m use to is running carbon and phos remover in reactors

Last edited:

Jason Bell

With those numbers that low bound to get dynos, only need to light to thrive. I have never done a ramp up to full intensity for lights. I have always stocked heavy with various snails and crabs, let the strong survive. Then made sure I had the tangs to graze as they will eat green hair and such if 1mm and less, hence the idea to get them in at the start and a goby to move the sand around.

I have 4 MP40's and they certainly do the job, the initial thought of them on the back glass didn't work out well, so there are a pair on each end. They run reef crest 85% and doesn't blow the sand around. Typically every evening I run them on clean and add a filter sock, seems to be working for me. Any luck this week and I'll get some more of it arrange, I have been waiting on cabinets and countertops to finish the other room and they have finally arrived.

Seasquirt

I've been lucky with the last few tanks, I always start the bio pellets, dump in the quick cycle and just the pellets turn, no skimmer. I do the water changes and about 7 days later all aboard and in they go.

I’ve never used bio pellets, ro/di
Tons of movement, skimmer and ATS, feeding frozen for the most part and lots of Rock

Everything looks good except that Torch I got from you, Torch/Hammer, what ever it is, it’s alive, a beautiful colour but it just won’t open up. Coralline growing really well and Dino’s never had em ever knock on wood.
This tank is going to look awesome in a year by the time all these frags grow in, love to see some pics of your stand Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Bell

I’ve never used bio pellets, ro/di
Tons of movement, skimmer and ATS, feeding frozen for the most part and lots of Rock

Everything looks good except that Torch I got from you, Torch/Hammer, what ever it is, it’s alive, a beautiful colour but it just won’t open up. Coralline growing really well and Dino’s never had em ever knock on wood.
This tank is going to look awesome in a year by the time all these frags grow in, love to see some pics of your stand Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of my new frags are doing well, 1 of course is not, but that happens. I still have not got the panels installed, I have them, Kyle did an amazing job on them and I have seen them work at his shop. I really hope to get them mounted and wired up this weekend. I did last week get the rest of the cabinets for the laundry room, so my honey do everything list is almost done.....

I have to setup the flow sensors still, the other 2 dosing pumps, leak detection sensors, the battery backups on the pumps, the reactors....well actually lots of stuff. My main goal was to ensure from the start the auto water change was operating as planned along with the top off and new saltwater mixing, everything there is good which has allowed me to kind of slack off on the finishing touches.

Seasquirt

There’s always one that doesn’t do well, my tank is not automated at all unless you count a 20 gl ATO that’s gravity fed, no pumps no pumping too much or two little, My Vectra pump is great, feed mode works well but I have to initiate it with my IPad,

My lights are another thing, both controllers are &*#$@ed, my dsuny controller which handles 3 Led pendants is uncontrollable, I set it up and sure it ramps up and down, dawn to dusk but not what I programmed and the AI controller that runs my two blue Sols isn,t much better and to get them to come on at 10am and to shut off at 10pm is handles by a regular timer, Mickey Mouse but it does work after a frustrating 4 months,

I need new lights but that’s gonna have to wait a bit and it’ll be AI when I get them. Lots of flow with two returns through the Vectra at 75 percent, 2 Nero 5, Coral box QP9 and RW8 on the back and finally the MP10 middle back with battery back up just in case.

Those Leathers that I got from you are great, small but colourful, the Yellow Toad stool hasn’t coloured up yet but it’s nice, the Zoas are all doing well, the Euphelia well let’s just say their not dead, they’re ok really just not as good as I want. Now the Green Nepthia is really good, my wife’s favourite,

Like I said I’m happy, in a year watch out it’ll be nice. Take care buddy, all the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk