Salty Cracker's "new Tank" Deconstruction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bece13

Have consider doing a muriatic acid bath for your rocks (15-30min, 1:10 dilution). Supposed to remove phosphates beside killing all life.

shamous113

It's funny that both the fire and ice and the red/green were hit hardest by the fresh water bath. One is exploding, while the other is "sort of" getting some colour back. Tanks are weird.

Anyone have a technique or formula mix for bleaching rocks? I'm def going to have to bleach out a lot to get rid of the paly's, aiptasia, brown monti, etc etc etc. I'll keep a few seed rocks and try to quarantine as much as possible, but I still want the rock to be added "fresh". ??
I did a chlorine bath (1:4) for 24hr then ro rinse with prime then muriatic acid. I got the chlorine at the Pool store in bulk, it's 10% chlorine vs the stuff you buy in the grocrie store which is 5% chlorine

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have chlorine, and I also have muriatic acid, but I want to be sure I neutralize the toxins from the palys. muriatic acid, lol, a "pool place" jerkoff once convinced me to pour half a jug of the stuff in my pool. Completely ate the kreepy krawly, no idea what it did to lines and liner. That was the last year I took advice from "pool experts".

Would it have to be neutralized with naking soda or something of the sort before going back in a marine tank??

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have chlorine, and I also have muriatic acid, but I want to be sure I neutralize the toxins from the palys. muriatic acid, lol, a "pool place" jerkoff once convinced me to pour half a jug of the stuff in my pool. Completely ate the kreepy krawly, no idea what it did to lines and liner. That was the last year I took advice from "pool experts".

Would it have to be neutralized with naking soda or something of the sort before going back in a marine tank??
I do 10:1 bleach for 4 hours then 10:1 acid for an hour then rinse in tap water treated with prime, the acid neutralizes the bleach.

shamous113

I cant remember where I read it but chlorine is suppose to break down palytoxin. here is the original RC thread on rock reincarnation, careful mixing chlorine with acid = mustard gas!
I would neutralize and rinse in RO water after the acid wash

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I read the thread on RC, do you think the acid bath is necessary or just an OCD step? I'm thinking that the chlorine bath is going to kill anything organic, which is what I'm looking for, I'm not looking to eat off it lol :)

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I read the thread on RC, do you think the acid bath is necessary or just an OCD step? I'm thinking that the chlorine bath is going to kill anything organic, which is what I'm looking for, I'm not looking to eat off it lol :)
you could use vinegar to neutralize the chlorine

shamous113

I do think its necessary. when i did the chlorine bath their was crap that sunk to the bottom of the bin, when I did the acid bath their was a thick brown foam that i could scrape off of the top of the water. the chlorine breaks it down but doesn't strip all of the bio material off the acid does IMHO, it also supposedly strips off the phosphate laden layer off of the rock. I'll try to find the pics that I took when I did the rock that I have in my tank.

Deptron

It's funny that both the fire and ice and the red/green were hit hardest by the fresh water bath. One is exploding, while the other is "sort of" getting some colour back. Tanks are weird.

Anyone have a technique or formula mix for bleaching rocks? I'm def going to have to bleach out a lot to get rid of the paly's, aiptasia, brown monti, etc etc etc. I'll keep a few seed rocks and try to quarantine as much as possible, but I still want the rock to be added "fresh". ??

Just watched a melevsreef video where he talks about the "correct" way of cooking rock. No acid or anything needed.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, does anyone know where to to get GE SCS 1200?? I'm totally to the end of my rope here, build started in April and it's Dec 5th and everytime I am told one thing it's just bullshit and I'm going to lose my fucking mind. I went to get the clamps from lee valley, and guess what they're out of??? fuuuuuuuuuck. It kills me that I could just order a tank from Big Al's and have it in a week like I did last time.... it's just not what I was looking for. My mistake.

I need two tubes of either GE SCS 1200 or RTV 108, it's got to be available, I live in a city of 380,000 effin people, does anyone know who might stock it so that I can just go get it and do this fucking tank? Google isn't my friend. I can't find it.

I can't believe I cannot get a fucking fish tank built. Sorry for the swearing but fuck sakes, I'm just losing track of the number of times I've been misled on this goddamn thing. If I could get my money out I'd just sell it, anyone want a $2000 pile of fucking glass

shamous113

Okay, does anyone know where to to get GE SCS 1200?? I'm totally to the end of my rope here, build started in April and it's Dec 5th and everytime I am told one thing it's just bullshit and I'm going to lose my fucking mind. I went to get the clamps from lee valley, and guess what they're out of???
For the silicone http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c322375/p17153108.html and you can borrow the clamps that I have, just need to get them to you. I may also have a lead on a different brand of silicone, just waiting on info from one of my suppliers to make sure that its equivalent to the trade standards.

Last edited:

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
For the silicone http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c322375/p17153108.html and you can borrow the clamps that I have, just need to get them to you. I may also have a lead on a different brand of silicone, just waiting on info from one of my suppliers to make sure that its equivalent to the trade standards.
Yeah but he wants $15 to ship 2 tubes, so it ends up being $45 after tax, and while it sounds weird, I'd rather just drive somewhere and pick it up than pay 2x shipping ;)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
BTW from a very trusted fabricator...gap between panels should be 1/ 16" no less but can be more.
Agreed, I think I'm good on what needs to be done (this thing has been rebuilt 3x now). I almost think I can get it right with tape and a builder's square at this point, well and something to glue it together with :(

So sorry Glenn. Totally understand the frustration you're going through.
Hopefully you'll catch a break on this thing soon.
I's seriously like someone is messing with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.