Speedy And Invisible Killer

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
it will come back to life, you can add bio supplements and some mature live rock from an established system.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
it will come back to life, you can add bio supplements and some mature live rock from an established system.
Think I'd rather cook the hell out of what I've got, then add mature rock. Probably the only way to eradicate the algae it's covered in. Maybe I should just go back to cichlids :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Think I'd rather cook the hell out of what I've got, then add mature rock. Probably the only way to eradicate the algae it's covered in. Maybe I should just go back to cichlids :p

you could QT your livestock and redo the rock and add the livestock slowly.

heath

Distinguished Member
I was thinking of a qt tank too,but if that is not a option then could someone maybe house the fish until you work it out. just a thought..

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I really have no idea how long it will take to get it all sorted. Sewerat was awesome when he took care of the zebra while i was setting up new tank, but seems like such an inconvenience to put on someone. Would rather they just get permanent new home.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Jeff. I just set up a long term rock cureing tank if it works well, take your rock out, cook it and then we can set up yours in my system to bring it back to life. Maybe pull your rock out , give the eel a pvc tube or two and get the water back to good and healthy for the fish while we work on your rock?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Jeff. I just set up a long term rock cureing tank if it works well, take your rock out, cook it and then we can set up yours in my system to bring it back to life. Maybe pull your rock out , give the eel a pvc tube or two and get the water back to good and healthy for the fish while we work on your rock?
Sounds like a generous offer, and a viable plan :) Will iron out details via text.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I have a bucket of aragonite and about 80% of a bag. I have a bit of rock too in my sump. I can stick your fish in my frag tank if you want and you can dump your water and clean out your tank. My rock will get you started. Just wash the aragonite. It's been sitting but is clean.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
brute container, air pump and air stone has been my lr curing vat since i started and works like a charm. cheap easy and convenient way to have your own vat. mine sits in basement corner running 24/7 with no heater

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Mines just a spare glass box with a spare skimmer and a spare power head. Again set up in basement. I have my water change system clean water into main system, dirty water out of main system into rock set up then drain rock setup out the door. Recycle my used water.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
My tank now sits empty, except for sand and a few pieces of rock. Thank you reefkeeper for babysitting the livestock that somehow managed to weather the storm!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
After roaming around the aquasafe website (brand of my ro/di unit), i've learned if feed water tds is over 400, a booster pump is needed. My tap tds at the moment is over 700! Guess i need to spend another $75 to solve at least part of the problem. Damn brantford water!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Next on the agenda is attempting to save my sand. In a world where I have piles of cash to burn, I'd obviously just go buy more. That world is yet to be created! Sewerat has suggested this:

"I'd take your sand and make a screen rinse system for it, think something like panning for gold then let it dry out for a week or two then put it back in. I know with your wood working skillz you can come up with some kinda screen holder deal. I'd use the good heavy duty screen. Your sand should be big enough to not pass thru so you'd have the best rinsed sand out there. "

Sounds good to me. Thoughts?