anybody tried one of these

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
CE basically stands for Chinese export lol. I don't think it means squat in regards to standards unless it's in Europe I believe . UL is another iffy thing. It could have been UL tested for Canada, us or both. I haven't read anywhere that they have been tested for Canada. I have read something about another power supply for Canada users? Can anyone comment on this?

And yea health Canada, they are involved with CSA approving stuff.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
UL alone is not recognized in Ontario, c UL, c UL us, CE, CSA, are. The jeabo pumps are CE but that could be a counterfit logo coming from china, however because the pump is low voltage only the power supply needs to be listed and they look pretty legit to me.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
meh, i dont really think theres any issues, theres 10s of thousands of jaebo users on reef central, some americans dont like to talk about it since they are from china but when you look at photos there almost every tank has one it these days.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
unibob link said:
Not to be a Debbie downer, but does anyone know if these have been legitimately certified by health Canada to be safe to use and within Canada's electrical code?

While they are awesome and I have 2, I've also heard they are illegal due to patent infringement
And are dodging  lawsuits from several companies, including tunze

The guy from reef wholesale told me they are illegal to sell in canada, but I took that with a grain of salt.

If someone could chime in on this ..,,

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=unibob link=topic=6721.msg66772#msg66772 date=1383529534]
Not to be a Debbie downer, but does anyone know if these have been legitimately certified by health Canada to be safe to use and within Canada's electrical code?

While they are awesome and I have 2, I've also heard they are illegal due to patent infringement

The guy from reef wholesale told me they are illegal to sell in canada, but I took that with a grain of salt.

[/quote]

I have seen them in LFS stores east of London ;)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=6721.msg66787#msg66787 date=1383535236]

[/quote]

I have seen them in LFS stores east of London ;)
[/quote]

Yes I have seen them for sale as well. The US is no longer allowed to sell them I heard until the lawsuit is over.

And CE is only valid in Europe from my understanding.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/perspectives/regulator/electrical/additionalresources/cemarkings/

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I am hoping to bring some of these pumps in for sale to the general public, I am just waiting for the legality question to be confirmed.  It seems the people who sell the pumps are telling me they are legal, while others (who don't sell the pumps) are saying illegal.

Hopefully I will have an answer with the week.  I have been approved for distribution of the pumps, but I won't sell a product that could potentially ruin someones lives.

We shall see...

harleymike

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
I am hoping to bring some of these pumps in for sale to the general public, I am just waiting for the legality question to be confirmed.  It seems the people who sell the pumps are telling me they are legal, while others (who don't sell the pumps) are saying illegal.

Hopefully I will have an answer with the week.  I have been approved for distribution of the pumps, but I won't sell a product that could potentially ruin someones lives.

We shall see...
Keep us posted. Interested too see how this turns out.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Failure to comply with these Rules or the Regulation is an offence and upon conviction, a person or director/officer of a corporation could be found liable to a fine of up to $50,000 and/or imprisonment of not more than one year. A corporation may be found liable to a fine up to $1,000,000.
http://www.esasafe.com/business/product-safety/product-approval
Product Approval | EsaSafe
www.esasafe.com

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:

health canada? they are UL and CE approved and from my understanding since they are DC and under 100w they dont even need to be to be ok'd for use.

[/quote]

from my understanding because they are not a class 2 product, they need certification. DC or AC if it going in an environment like WATER...why would you use something that isn't certified...

Sidewaze

CE is just an European approval the basically states that the parts are readily available and not a one off. When I was working with a machine builder all parts had to be ce so that end users can replace without being held hostage by mfg. Now with the pump the head itself is lower than 30vdc, the issue would be the power supply. I'll look at mine tonight when I get home. If you're that worried you could call ESA and request a field evaluation

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
unibob link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=6721.msg66775#msg66775 date=1383529790]

health canada? they are UL and CE approved and from my understanding since they are DC and under 100w they dont even need to be to be ok'd for use.

[/quote]

from my understanding because they are not a class 2 product, they need certification. DC or AC if it going in an environment like WATER...why would you use something that isn't certified...
[/quote]

Its no different than your 120w eBay.chineese led fixture

index.php

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
there we go. i went and gave it a quick check for jerry.

c UL us listed CE listed, perfectly legit.

IMG_20131104_102414.jpg

AdamS

Duke, I am about 99% sure that they just write that on there, and that it is NOT cUL listed.  That being said, has anyone been to dollerama lately? They sell so much crap that is not properly inspected it is crazy.

I spoke with some ESA inspectors about this one evening, they told me the problem is too large and that their job is electrical installations and not the cheap electronics coming into this country. From the standpoint of getting fined for selling something that does not have proper listings, its a non-issue, it will never happen, IMO. The only worry I would ever have selling these is patent infringement.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
http://www.jebao.com/en/introduce.html

they must just right that crap on their website too?

if you goto the UL website they list fraudulent power supplies and products on there, nothing about the jebaos.

jebao is like the "eheim" of Asia, every pond and aquarium in all of asia is using a jebao pump and has been for years, they arent a cheap knockoff clone company or anything at all like that.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
the patent infringements are a bunch of bs people spew also, there are no ongoing law suits for against jebao for their dc power heads, theres a thread on reef central where a patent lawyer got involved and explained what can and cant be dont, since obviously you cant patent a dc powered water moving device.. and theres no exact similarities with a tunze, theres nothing infringing.. end of story.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
AdamS link said:
Duke, I am about 99% sure that they just write that on there, and that it is NOT cUL listed.  That being said, has anyone been to dollerama lately? They sell so much crap that is not properly inspected it is crazy.

I spoke with some ESA inspectors about this one evening, they told me the problem is too large and that their job is electrical installations and not the cheap electronics coming into this country. From the standpoint of getting fined for selling something that does not have proper listings, its a non-issue, it will never happen, IMO. The only worry I would ever have selling these is patent infringement.

I am not so worried about getting in trouble selling these units, its the fallback, if say a fire was started because of a faulty power supply.  This could come back to bite the potential seller and be game breaker for most of us small business's.  As a business vendor you are trusted to sell products that are up to Ontario codes.  I don't think I would feel very good if the one in a million units (or whatever the number is) that did catch fire was one of my customers, and I knowingly sold something that is not approved for use.

From some of the whole-sellers I have been talking with on the phone, the markings are not at all certified, there fake. (basically what Adam said)

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
These pumps are a big hit, they are a great value for what they do. So for me, It has to make you question why some of the big wholesellers in Canada refuse to supply them to Canadian stores? (of course these guys do sell ecotech products so maybe there is a bias there, I like to think not though)...maybe I am being a bit naive here.

The only way I know of to get the pumps to Canada is to get them shipped from the manufacture in HK right to your door....or go through the middle man in the US.