anybody tried one of these

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
you can always goto radio shack in canada and buy a 20$ 24v 100% c US ce UL BS certified power supply for them and call it a day and it will give you more than just the 3 speed settings as a bonus, myself im good with it, i for one am not going to worry about it, its stamped legitimatly certified, the manufacturer says its certified on their company website, im covered if there was ever a fire caused by one of these(keep in mind i think the chances of that are identical to having a fire caused by a tunze or ecotec)

AdamS

I agree with duke, although I still do question the legitimacy of the listing.

If it helps to show how concerned i am about it, know that i have one of these installed in my wooden stand on the main floor of my house.

Bigshow, do a little research, find out how many people who sell a product have been charged because that product was faulty. I think your worrying too much.

Sidewaze

I think a wholesaler wouldn't want to because no money to be made and compete with low price online. Unfortunately most Canadian business believes in a high point markup rather than volume. I'll sell a few at 35-50 points rather than sell tens at 20-25 points. Rip Canadian buyers and whine when they buy online. Big Ali's online had an issue i was looking for a replacement impeller for my mj1200. Accidently was on U.S. Site for a great price online. I was gonna buy it and a new mj1200 but when I went to order couldn't setup because US went to the Canadian site and the prices were at least double! Seriously so i called to complain and given some bs about this and that, so i no longer deal with Big Al's at all. Canadian business pushes customers to U.S./online sales.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
AdamS link said:
I agree with duke, although I still do question the legitimacy of the listing.

If it helps to show how concerned i am about it, know that i have one of these installed in my wooden stand on the main floor of my house.

Bigshow, do a little research, find out how many people who sell a product have been charged because that product was faulty. I think your worrying too much.

...it only takes one faulty piece to get yourself into trouble.  Its fine to say that from a customers standpoint, but your business is not the one that's being risked.

I am not disagreeing with you Adam that the probability is slim to none, what I am saying is that there is a chance and I am not sure its worth the risk. (again, as someone that is selling the product.)

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
There is definitely money to be made.  I have received the prices from HK and even if there was a middleman involved there is still a good margin to be made.

Sidewaze

The real issue isn't the dc end its the ac and if you're that worried put an inline fuse to the power supply. Just curious how many of you concerned guys that have diy leds have any kind of primary fusing or just trust your panel breaker.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
BIGSHOW link said:
These pumps are a big hit, they are a great value for what they do. So for me, It has to make you question why some of the big wholesellers in Canada refuse to supply them to Canadian stores? (of course these guys do sell ecotech products so maybe there is a bias there, I like to think not though)...maybe I am being a bit naive here.

The only way I know of to get the pumps to Canada is to get them shipped from the manufacture in HK right to your door....or go through the middle man in the US.
If you make 20% profit then you want to sell radions, mitras, etc.
I got mine from Kracken in canada.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Ill buy a couple 25 or a 40 from
Whoever brings them in lol.  Course when I have some excess cash.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Duke link said:
you can always goto radio shack in canada and buy a 20$ 24v 100% c US ce UL BS certified power supply for them and call it a day and it will give you more than just the 3 speed settings as a bonus, myself im good with it, i for one am not going to worry about it, its stamped legitimatly certified, the manufacturer says its certified on their company website, im covered if there was ever a fire caused by one of these(keep in mind i think the chances of that are identical to having a fire caused by a tunze or ecotec)
I'm sure all the power supplies at radioshack are made in china to, power supplies are pretty basic and not to difficult to get approval on, I suspect they are legit. A lot of reputable companies have stuff assembled in china.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Pistol link said:
[quote author=BIGSHOW link=topic=6721.msg66821#msg66821 date=1383581780]
These pumps are a big hit, they are a great value for what they do. So for me, It has to make you question why some of the big wholesellers in Canada refuse to supply them to Canadian stores? (of course these guys do sell ecotech products so maybe there is a bias there, I like to think not though)...maybe I am being a bit naive here.

The only way I know of to get the pumps to Canada is to get them shipped from the manufacture in HK right to your door....or go through the middle man in the US.
If you make 20% profit then you want to sell radions, mitras, etc.
I got mine from Kracken in canada.
[/quote]

yup theres lots of N A vendors so far, just have to look for them mjc, reef breeders, reefsupplycanada, pond pro Canada, and a few others sell them, I for one was fine ordering from china since it saved some money, and like it or not fish-street is very good for customer service and dealing with problems, so much so they pretty much just put a new one in the mail if you have issues.

another thing to mention is one reason you aren't seeing the retailers selling these pumps is because they have been threatened by Tunze to not sell them, it was Tunze themselves who sent the letters to their distributers stating that the pumps were in violation of their patents and were ordered to cease and desist selling them or legal action could be taken against THEM and they would loose their distributer rights with Tunze. Long story short tunze has not filed ANY patent infringement complaints in the USA to date about the jebao pumps. meaning that like it or not there is nothing tunze can do, be it a knock off or not, its just not close enough to the same as anything tunze holds patents for. Ultimately I think these pumps are going to bring the prices down on the "big 2" in the very near future, sales have got to be WAY down on ecotec and tunze powerheads and at this point the only way they can fix this is innovate and come out with something new or lower prices.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I guess from the retail side of things its not worth the risk for me to sell something that has a potential to bite me in the ass (no matter how small a chance it is).

The pumps look great and have awesome reviews so if you want to get one Mike go the same route as Duke and get them through Fish Street.  It for sure would be your cheapest option and they do have great service.

I just don't think I will ever be able to confirm or deny any of the rumors, and for the amount of money to be made as a seller, its not worth the risk to me.

Dave

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I should also add that I do plan to use a few of these pumps in my own systems, I just don't want the responsibility of selling it to a customer with the unknown of the certification.  I could care less about the Tunze threats, that would not deter me from sales.

I do think these pumps are awesome and I really hope the issues around the certification can be resolved....quickly.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
maxspect lights legit approvall?and they are burning up all over the world,i wouldnt worry about jeabo
https://www.google.ca/search?num=40&newwindow=1&q=maxspect+razor+led+catching+fire&oq=maxspect+razor+led+catching+fire&gs_l=serp.3...23393.33994.0.34277.27.26.0.1.1.1.173.2487.19j7.26.0....0...1c.1.30.serp..11.16.1456.pVahM9subzY

KBennett

Just mount everything on top of your wooden canopy... Auto fire extinguishing when it burns through and falls into the tank!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I was just browsing reef octopus website today and noticed that their DC Diablo Line pump (exact replicas to the jebao) use the identical power supply as the jabao pumps also.. you can see my photo on the last page of the jebao power supply and then heres the image pulled straight from reef octopus website. just another example of how the jebao pumps from china are no less safe than any other DC pump on the market, and how its so easy for rumors to get started about these things not being certified or safe for use in North America.

06-20402166006.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6721.msg66849#msg66849 date=1383593015]
Are razors  the ones that caught fire in tony's setup?
there is a guy in one of the michigan forums. has his razor melted on both ends
[/quote]

It just happened to a guy in Toronto as well.

Customer service seems to be above par though from what I have read.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
I was just browsing reef octopus website today and noticed that their DC Diablo Line pump (exact replicas to the jebao) use the identical power supply as the jabao pumps also.. you can see my photo on the last page of the jebao power supply and then heres the image pulled straight from reef octopus website. just another example of how the jebao pumps from china are no less safe than any other DC pump on the market, and how its so easy for rumors to get started about these things not being certified or safe for use in North America.

06-20402166006.jpg

Duke just because it looks the same doesn't mean they are. Not trying to start a it's legal/illegal as I believe it was solved on canreef if I remember right. It seam labelling is too easily added onto products and not all are inspected. Either way, for the price you can't beat that.