New tank talk

Jewel

Ya you're right Adam, Just do it, I've never had a warrantee and I've had a leak before. I know what it's like to have 80 gal on the basement floor, wasn't a leak, It was Fluval, The power went out and the Fluval back flowed out and through the damaged O ring and on the floor.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
what about these guys, they look like good prices, got the link from fragbox site.. maybe he could chime in.

1441474_621870704526444_1401891093_n.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
pulpfiction1 link said:
i understand acrylic scratches very easily,what would one use to clean off the inside of the glass?

magic eraser if your clumsy, or a razor blade if you have a steady hand.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
unibob link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=7738.msg80951#msg80951 date=1392161319]
i understand acrylic scratches very easily,what would one use to clean off the inside of the glass?

magic eraser if your clumsy, or a razor blade if you have a steady hand.
[/quote]

im clumsy!!!
ive read, but a magic eraser inbetween your mag float, that works apparently

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
for me i only magic eraser the inside, if you had a nice new mag float im sure it would be great to sandwich a magic eraser inbetween, i worry about scratching the outside the most, nothing touches my tank except micro fiber cloth

theres plus and minus to both glass and acrylic, but for me it was an easy choice, i got a good deal on a 1000$ custom acrylic tank.. how could i go wrong.

Glass has a different index of refraction than water. This means the as light passes through the air, then the glass, then the water to bounce off a fish and get reflected back through the water, then the glass, then the air, the light is bent four times. Each time the light is bent, the image is distorted. Colors are not quite true, position is not quite accurate, size can be distorted slightly. The thicker the glass is, the more pronounced these errors become.

Acrylic has nearly the same index of refraction as water. This means that when you see a fish in an acrylic tank, the light has only been bent once or twice. Because of this, the only distortion you are likely to see is that the fish is slightly misplaced, but the size and color are true.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
And if you're like me and sometimes let the algae build up a bit, a piece of flat acrylic with a square edge and a nicely bent handle makes a razor sharp scraper that will never scratch your acrylic panels since it's the same material.  Quick and easy DIY with some of your scrap acrylic and works great on your glass tanks too.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I have tried the Mag-float Acrylic only replacement pads as well and they seem to be okay although I still put a microfibre cloth between the outside handle and the acrylic and never use them close to the sand bed.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Looking at the prices on these things has me seriously reconsidering taking the router to the one in the garage instead of just living with the dimensions as they are...  :eek:

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Ok guys I need some serious opinions.
Used tank- but in very good condition. 120gallons, drilled with brand new plumbing for 350$ +-
7erupahe.jpg

ju6y4e4e.jpg

nazyqu7u.jpg

y7utezat.jpg

Looks to be in very good condition. A few years old

OR
I go with big Al's- they have a reef ready drilled tank with all plumbing bulkhead up, ( basicly exact same tank) for 550$ plus tax. So 620$

And go! Votes / opinions

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
curiousphil link said:
Tough call given your recent luck, but at least this used tank has been water tested... so I'd say go for it

yea i asked him to test it for me, and he said no prob,
it looks to be in very good condition and the more money i can save the better, as my wallets running thin lol

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hmm.....if your moving in a year, what about saving your pennies and getting something kick ass in a year.  It would save you a bunch of work and you could take lots of time to plan out a dream tank.  You could even start on purchasing all the stuff you would need (toys) before you move.  I know for my big tank I started buying equipment like 1 year in advance.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Darryl_V link said:
Hmm.....if your moving in a year, what about saving your pennies and getting something kick ass in a year.  It would save you a bunch of work and you could take lots of time to plan out a dream tank.  You could even start on purchasing all the stuff you would need (toys) before you move.  I know for my big tank I started buying equipment like 1 year in advance.

Thing is I have all my equipment still from my 150, everything I would ever need. Dosers , skimmers , reactors, sumps , wp40's Etc

And I still have my frag tank chalk full of lps and my fish.

Big Al's Brampton has a reef ready 120g 48x24x24 for 529$

That's not a bad price either  for a decent size.