Spring Frag Swap - London

P

phi delt reefer

People a should also bring all their used gear they don't need. I know the Windso Boys unloaded a truckload of stuff last time. No better audience for the stuff!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
phi delt reefer link said:
People a should also bring all their used gear they don't need. I know the Windso Boys unloaded a truckload of stuff last time. No better audience for the stuff!

I think on the signup sheet I'll have a section for 'what are you selling' so we can get an idea of what might be available.  I agree...it's a great place to unload/find gear! I may have a page that lists the sellers and what they may have

#1. AWESOMEDOODE  - FRAGS - USED EQUIPMENT
#2. TOP HAT GUY  - COLONIES - NEW MAG PUMPS
#3. SUPERSTORE - GIFT CERTIFICATES, REEF ADDITIVES, HEATERS

etc etc. 

My big concern is going to be space and the strength of the tables.  I mean a 50 gallon tank weighs what...400lbs?  Water gets heavy quick.  How do sellers usually bring enough warm saltwater to show off their frags?  I figure I'll have a drum of it, and just pump it into a tank, but keeping it proper temp in the drum could be a trick. 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Ya but how big of a tank do you need for a bunch of frags? I guess it depends on how many ur bringing. I think I'll whip up a 20g setup some how and use a bunch of 5g jugs with premixed saltwater and lids.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I plan on building something like this:

e8a7yda4.jpg

Few tips as well:
http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/3-tips-for-successful-frag-equipment-swaps/

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I will be trying to cater to the new folks, lots of zoas/palys and gsp lol According the the site that photo I posted will hold 100 frags. So if I can fit 25-50 "good" size frags in there then ill be content with that.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jerry_doucette link said:
I will be trying to cater to the new folks, lots of zoas/palys and gsp lol According the the site that photo I posted will hold 100 frags. So if I can fit 25-50 \"good\" size frags in there then ill be content with that.

how many gallons is that thing? Actually, is that a manufactured setup?

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Poseidon link said:
Ya but how big of a tank do you need for a bunch of frags? I guess it depends on how many ur bringing. I think I'll whip up a 20g setup some how and use a bunch of 5g jugs with premixed saltwater and lids.
20 gallons is to much to just bring frags and put on a table

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
What is the size of a regular fold out table?  It would be cheaper for everyone if they can 'double up' on one table (which is why I need to know weight max for tables). 

I'm soooo tempted to have a guy cnc me up a custom tank with uv-resistant artwork.  He's doing a bunch of work for my outside bar this summer...maybe I should just add a small order in.  Ohhh this is going to be a pricey swap if nobody signs up  :eek: ;D

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
It is a manufactured setup but I don't believe the company makes them anymore.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I was going to have a guy build me a small setup out of acrylic....I was thinking 16x16x10..... That is just over 11g and since I would be an inch from the top or so, it would be no more than 10g......I have seen and like the setups that have the small overflow in the back and then a 10g or smaller sump tank below with a return to one or two side inputs in your display tank....this would provide enough flow in your display and this way you will utilize the full frag display tank without having heaters, pumps, etc in there......looks very professional ;)
I only have maybe 10 or so (hoping more!) i will be able to frag and display but I figure might as well go a little bigger for the future fragfests! :)
If I did this then I would not be able to volunteer at the event salty.....as I would need to be at my table with my frags.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
that tank sounds like a good size.  Looking at photos of frag swaps, I see a lot of 'cloudy' tanks.  Likely stressed corals sending out stuff.  It might almost be an idea to have a tiny filter of some sort, I wonder if a carbon reactor would keep a tank clear...of course those tanks may have been set up for hours, and getting really heated up. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I seen people running reactors in the sump below at the show.......it would be a must for people who had a larger setup and hundreds of corals.....a lot of these people travel long distance and have a full blown reef setup in their van lol.....
The sump looked like a great idea because then you can have a very small tank on the table with just the frags.....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
I seen people running reactors in the sump below at the show.......it would be a must for people who had a larger setup and hundreds of corals.....a lot of these people travel long distance and have a full blown reef setup in their van lol.....
The sump looked like a great idea because then you can have a very small tank on the table with just the frags.....

True true..but then you have to truck in more water :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Sorry guys was supposed to meet the girl at the hall yesterday, but I had to put my dog down instead, which really took away any interest I had in looking at a legionhall yesterday.  I'll hopefully get in Tues or Wed. :(

They did say that food is a possibility, either using the women's auxilliary, or we are allowed to bring our own (like have a bbq outside or something).  I'll have to get your thoughts on that, once I find out how much they would want to cook up some weenies and sausages (or they offered an actual menu selection as well.

The hall would just be for the swap, the legion members wouldn't just be wandering in and out, so that's a plus (not that I have anything against legion guys) :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Sorry guys was supposed to meet the girl at the hall yesterday, but I had to put my dog down instead, which really took away any interest I had in looking at a legionhall yesterday.  I'll hopefully get in Tues or Wed. :(

They did say that food is a possibility, either using the women's auxilliary, or we are allowed to bring our own (like have a bbq outside or something).  I'll have to get your thoughts on that, once I find out how much they would want to cook up some weenies and sausages (or they offered an actual menu selection as well.

The hall would just be for the swap, the legion members wouldn't just be wandering in and out, so that's a plus (not that I have anything against legion guys) :)

That sucks glen.....sorry to hear you had to put the dog down....