RapidLED Group Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
Oh ok so the thermal pads just stick the LEDs to the heat sink.....?
So, I could use these pads instead of the arctic alumina thermal adhesive? Which is better because the kit comes with the adhesive.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I find the adhesive a pain in the ass.  However, you need it to attach the optics, they don't come attached.  So on mine, I have the tape holding the LED's to the heatsink, and that shitty paste epoxy holding the optics to the LEDs.  That's why I like the new heatsink designs so much, they let you put on a splash guard that keeps you from popping the optics off when you're drunk and messing with your tank. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Ok I got it now.....
Well I guess now I am on the fence about whether I get the adhesive or the pads......
I like the look of the single 3w led heat sink and for the price, why not...I would need 14 tho.....
One last question, I see that in the kit there is a power cord included.....if I buy things separate do I need to buy this power cord too or does it come with the driver?
Sorry for being a PITA! Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Victoss

Some heatsinks have holes drilled and you can just screw the LEDs on but you still need thermal grease between them and the heatsink. If you don't have holes drilled then there is two options, the thermal adhesive or the thermal pads. In the end they do the same thing but the adhesive will have better heat transfer then the pads and will probably last longer. Just make sure you don't use too much if you decide to use it.

Reef Hero they do have a 24 LED kit there if you want a heatsink that is 48" long otherwise you can buy it all separate and just spread them out to however many you want on it, just make sure you grab a power cord :D (may wanna add some wire nuts too if you don't have any laying around). You can actually buy Drilled/tapped 1.4" wide heatsinks if you wanna go that route.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I talked with RapidLED again today. I told them that I need to know when the item I am ordering is going to be in because I'm going to be placing an order with a group buy next week.

They told me that their shipment wont be in until the end of February  :mad:

Sorry guys but it looks like I'm out as well.  :(

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If meeting the $2000 goal is going to be a problem, you can always try advetizing this group buy on some of the other forums. GTA aquaria, Aquairumpros, KWAS, Canreef, Kijiji might be an option as well.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm pretty sure the power cords come with the drivers.  Also, you can double them up and run more than one driver on one cord (I had 8 power cords at one point).  I didn't buy the kits and I don't -think- I ordered power cords separate. 

Victoss

Nah you definitely need to add them unless it's a kit, maybe they caught it on your order and were nice enough to add them. Another good point you brought up is you can have all your drivers to one cord if you really wanted just means a bigger knot of wires (probably won't get more then two in a standard wire nut). I have 4 drivers with all their own cords and they are just going to their own power bar any ways, at the time I thought it would be better if I needed to separate them.

S

saltnureye

In as well if it is not too late.  I was waiting on an email from rapid and I just go the go ahead on the item I was looking at.  Not a huge order  about $150, I will get a final tally today but hopefully bring us closer to 2k.

AdamS

Ok, I updated the totals...see the first post.

We are still about $120 short, so if someone else is still on the fence, by all means jump in.  I am not part of any other forum so I can't post anywhere else.  I am confident we can reach the 2G's here.  I am going to pin my order down a little closer today, and see where we are at.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
Whats the best MIX of led you think guys....keep in mind I like blue.

2 royal blues for every cool white at least. im running my whites dimmed to about 80% and my blues at 100% with that combo, i also like the blue look.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Well that doesnt help.  I have have like 20blue and 6 white and the white have the optics off.  Colour is not bad but seems like its missing something.  I'm thinking of adding some violet actinic or red??

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
Well that doesnt help.  I have have like 20blue and 6 white and the white have the optics off.  Colour is not bad but seems like its missing something.  I'm thinking of adding some violet actinic or red??

red leds really sucked for me, they dont blend at all. you would need a seperate driver to dial them way back i think. the violet or UV might be your answer, i run a 4ft True violet actinic bulb along with my leds.. to add some of that color.

Status
Not open for further replies.